It’s been a while since the Kia Seltos first made its appearance here on our shores, with order books for the B-segment SUV already open since September last year. Now finally, Naza Kia Malaysia has officially launched the Kia Seltos here in Malaysia, giving the Korean brand’s model line-up here a much-needed refresh.
The Kia Seltos SUV will be offered here in Malaysia in two variants – the base EX variant which retails at RM115,888, and the GT Line, coming in at RM133,888.
The Kia Seltos sports a distinctive front “mask” design (their words, not ours), characterised by the large “tiger nose” grille that tails off into the “heart beat” LED daytime-running lights, which are standard across both variants. The GT Line however, does get a slightly more unique touch, with the light signature extending into the grille itself.
The Seltos does carry a pretty rugged appearance, thanks to the bold lines on the bodywork. skid plates integrated into the bumpers, as well as the roof rails that are standard across both variants. For equipment, The EX variant gets automatic halogen projector headlights, and 17-inch wheels as standard.
The GT Line steps it up a notch in terms of appearance, with the following extras (in addition to the extended DRLs) on top of the standard EX look:
- Red accents on the front lower grille, wheel hub caps, front brake calipers, side skirts, and rear bumpers
- Radiator grille finished in gloss black and satin chrome
- More prominent skid plates
- Faux exhaust exits on the rear bumpers
- 17-inch Y-spoke two-tone alloy wheels
- LED headlights
- LED fog lights
Only one powertrain is offered here on the Malaysia-spec Kia Seltos, a 1.6-litre naturally-aspirated four-cylinder engine.
- Engine: 1.6-Litre Gamma naturally-aspirated MPI four-cylinder, petrol
- Transmission: 6-speed automatic
- Drivetrain: front-wheel drive
- Max horsepower: 123 hp @ 6,300 rpm
- Max torque: 151 Nm @ 4,850 rpm
Although power is only sent to the front wheels, the Kia Seltos does come equipped with a ‘Traction’ drive modes system, which includes Snow, Mud and Sand settings to provide increased grip in slippery conditions.
The funky and modern look is continued inside, highlighted by the giant free-standing panel right above the dashboard, which houses an analogue instrument cluster alongside an eight-inch infotainment display with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto functionality.
Further amplifying its youthful appeal is the Sound Mood lighting system, which pulses ambient lighting according to the beat of the music being played through the speakers.
Standard equipment on the Kia Seltos include:
- Flat-bottomed steering wheel
- Gloss black interior trim
- Quilted black leather upholstery
- Keyless entry with push-start button
- 3.5-inch multi-info display
- 60:40 split-folding rear seats
- Reverse camera with rear parking sensors
- Rear air vents
The GT Line does get several extra niceties, including:
- GT Line-badged steering wheel
- Soft-touch material on the dashboard
- Red accent stitching on the seats
- Alloy pedals
- Head-up display
- 7-inch multi-info display
- Ventilated front seats (eight-way powered adjustments for driver)
- Dual-zone automatic climate control
- Wireless charging pad
- Front parking sensors
SAFETY AND CONVENIENCE
Both variants of the Kia Seltos comes with identical safety kit, which includes the following:
- Six airbags (front, side, curtain)
- Vehicle Stability Management (VSM)
- ABS with EBD and brake assist
- Electronic stability control
- Hill start assist
- Power window lockout protection
- ISOFIX rear child seat anchors
- Cruise control
Unfortunately, the Kia Seltos in Malaysia does not come with any advanced driver assistance features, putting it at a disadvantage against the likes of the Proton X50 and its Korean cousin, the Hyundai Kona.
The Kia Seltos in Malaysia will be fully-imported from India, and is priced as follows:
- Kia Seltos EX – RM115,888
- Kia Seltos GT Line – RM133,888
Both prices listed above are on-the-road, without insurance, and inclusive of the sales tax exemptions valid until the 30th of June 2021. Included with every purchase of the Kia Seltos is a five-year/150,000 km warranty.