Following the launch of the facelifted Kona in April this year, Hyundai-Sime Darby Motors has now introduced two additional variants to the model line-up here in Malaysia, in the form of the Kona 1.6 Turbo and 1.6 Turbo N Line.
The Hyundai Kona 1.6 Turbo is priced at RM146,888, while the 1.6 Turbo N Line goes for RM156,888, both on the road, without insurance, and inclusive of the sales tax exemptions that is valid until the end of 2021.
The Hyundai Kona 1.6 Turbo’s exterior styling is pretty much identical to that of the 2.0 Active variant, which features the same chunky, rugged plastic-clad look on the outside. Standard features are from the existing range-topping variant, which includes fully-LED headlights with day-time running lights, LED tail lights, and 18-inch alloy wheels.
To distinguish the 1.6 Turbo from the 2.0 Active variant, look out for the roof rack and dual-tone blacked-out roof, both of which are only available on the 1.6 Turbo variant.
Headlining this launch, though, is of course the Kona N Line, which gets its own unique, sportier exterior touches. These include:
- Body-colour claddings
- N Line-specific front bumper, with “N-style” aerodynamic lip and corner fins, larger air intakes with unique mesh design
- Variant-specific rear bumper with central diffuser element in black
- Twin tailpipe exits
- 18-inch variant-specific alloy wheels
- Exterior colour options: Surfy Blue, Dive in Jeju, Ignite Flame, Pulse Red, and Misty Jungle
The main highlight to the two new variants is, of course, the new Smartstream G1.6 T-GDI turbocharged inline-four mill underneath the bonnet, which provides a significant power bump over the 2.0-litre models.
- Engine: 1,598 cc, turbocharged inline-four, petrol
- Transmission: Second-gen Smartstream seven-speed dual-clutch transmission
- Driveline: Front engine, front-wheel drive
- Max horsepower: 198 hp @ 6,000 rpm
- Max torque: 265 Nm @ 1,600 – 4,500 rpm
Hyundai did not share the new model’s 0-100 km/h times and top speed, though with a 21 hp increase over its predecessor, do expect it to be slightly quicker than the outgoing model’s 7.7 seconds.
The cabin of both the Kona 1.6 Turbo and Kona N Line sports the identical updated design and architecture to the existing 2.0-litre models, featuring the new centre-console area, and new circular air vents at the both ends of the dashboard. Standard features are also unchanged from the Kona 2.0 Active, which includes:
- 10.25-inch digital instrument cluster
- 8-inch touchscreen infotainment display with wireless Android Auto and Apple CarPlay connectivity
- Electric parking brake
- Ambient lighting system with centre cup holder illumination
- Automatic climate control
- Power-adjustable driver seat
- Leather upholstery in black or light beige
The Hyundai Kona N Line meanwhile comes with a dedicated N Line colour package, featuring a black leather/suede upholstery, red cross stitching, metal pedals, and N badging on the gear lever, steering wheel, and seats.
In addition, the Kona N Line also comes with a ventilated and heated seat function for the driver and front passenger, a feature that is unique to the new range-topping model.
As standard, both new variants are fully equipped with the Hyundai Smartsense active safety and driving assistance suite, with features including:
- Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist (FCA) with pedestrian and vehicle detection
- Blind-Spot Collision-Avoidance Assist (BCA)
- Rear Cross Traffic Collision-Avoidance Assist (RCCA)
- Lane Keeping Assist (LKA)
- Lane Following Assist (LFA)
- Smart Cruise Control with stop-and-go function (SCC)
- Driver Attention Warning (DAW)
- Leading Vehicle Departure Alert (LVDA)
- High Beam Assist (HBA)
- Safe Exit Warning (SEW)
- Rear Occupant Alert (ROA)
Six airbags is standard on the Hyundai Kona, alongside ABS with EBD and brake assist, stability control, hill start assist, and hill descent control.
As mentioned above, the new 1.6-litre turbocharged Hyundai Kona line-up starts at RM146,888 for the 1.6 Turbo variant, and RM156,888 for the Kona N Line here in Malaysia. Both prices are on the road, without insurance, and inclusive of the sales tax exemptions valid until the end of 2021.
Included in the price is a five-year/300,000 km warranty, and a three-year/50,000 km free scheduled maintenance programme.
As the country is still under various stages of the Movement Control Order, interested customers can book the new Hyundai Kona 1.6 Turbo variants online via HSDM’s new online shopping platform, Cl1ck to Buy, linked here.
Hyundai Kona 2.0 Active