Volvo Car Malaysia has just unveiled the new Volvo S90 facelift here in Malaysia. At launch, the new executive sedan is only available in a single variant – the Recharge T8 in Inscription Plus trim – priced at RM 339,314, on the road, without insurance, and inclusive of the SST exemptions.
Just like the recently-launched XC40 Recharge T5, the PHEV Volvo S90 now also gets the ‘Recharge’ name to indicate its dual-motor powertrain set-up underneath the sheet metal.
Changes to the exterior of this facelift model are subtle at best, but as a whole, does manage to freshen up the looks of the now five-year-old executive sedan.
Up front, the Volvo S90 facelift receives a new bumper that’s now lower than before, characterised by a full-width chrome strip, joining the fog lamps together. The horizontal chrome strip is also mirrored on the new rear bumper.
The tail lamps are also redesigned with a new light signature – similar to that of the sportier S60 T8 R-Design – and sequential turn indicators. To further enhance the sportiness of the executive sedan, the rear tailgate also now gets an integrated ducktail spoiler.
Otherwise, the Volvo S90 facelift is largely identical to the outgoing model, including all of the iconic Volvo design elements. Highlights include:
- ‘Thor Hammer’ LED headlights
- Vertical chrome grille
- 3D Volvo Iron Mark with floating letters
- New 19-inch 10-spoke diamond-cut alloy wheels
- Exterior colour options: Bright Silver, Crystal White Pearl, Onyx Black, Platinum Grey and Thunder Grey
The hybrid powertrain underneath the bonnet remains unchanged on the new 2021 Volvo S90 Recharge T8.
- Powertrain: Volvo Drive-E, 2.0-litre four-cylinder supercharged and turbocharged petrol, electric motor
- Transmission: 8-speed automatic gearbox with Geartronic
- Driveline: Front-engine, All-wheel drive (electric motor at rear axle)
- Suspension: Active Chassis with 2-corner air suspension
- Combined horsepower: 407 hp @ 5,700 rpm
- Combined torque: 640 Nm @ 1,200 – 5,400 rpm
- 0-100 km/h: 4.9 seconds
- Top speed: electronically-limited, 180 km/h
The cabin of the new Volvo S90 facelift is pretty much unchanged from the outgoing model, aside from an upgraded Bowers & Wilkins sound system, featuring 19 speakers with a total output of 1,400 W.
Combined with the different audio modes such as the Concert Hall Mode, which was modelled after the exact acoustic qualities of the Gothenburg Concert Hall, Volvo says the new sound system is able to provide a “true high-end” immersive listening experience.
Other interior highlights include:
- 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster
- Head-up display
- 9.0-inch Sensus touchscreen infotainment system with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- Orrefors crystal gearshift knob
- Pitched-oak/Grey Ash trim inlays
- Illuminated ‘Recharge’ side sill plates
- CleanZone automatic climate control with PM 2.5 Advanced Air Cleaner particle sensor
- Nappa leather upholstery
- Ventilated front seats
- Rear seats with built-in child booster seat
- 360-degree surround-view monitor
- Powered tailgate
SAFETY AND CONVENIENCES
The new S90 facelift is equipped with the Volvo IntelliSafe advanced driver assistance suite, which includes features such as:
- Blind Spot Information System (BLIS)
- City Safety autonomous emergency braking
- Cross Traffic Alert, front and rear with mitigation support
- Lane Keeping Aid
- Pilot Assist
Just like all new Volvo cars, the new Volvo S90 also comes with the 180 km/h electronically-limited speed cap. And for every new Volvo car launch, we’ll have to repeat this: 180 km/h is plenty fast enough. Not convinced? Check out this emotional video with testimonials from car crash survivors.
The new Volvo S90 Recharge T8 in Malaysia is priced at RM358,888 on-the-road, without insurance, though with the current SST exemptions, the price drops to RM339,315. Included in the price is a five-year unlimited mileage warranty.
Volvo Car Malaysia added that the petrol-powered T5 variant for the S90 facelift will be available from June 2021 onwards, priced at RM328,888 (before sales tax exemptions).