Volvo Car Malaysia (VCM) today officially launched the XC40 Recharge T5, the plug-in hybrid variant of the compact SUV here in Malaysia. With the launch of the new variant, the entire VCM model line-up has now been completely electrified, with PHEV variants available for every Volvo model on sale here in Malaysia.
Locally-assembled at Volvo Car Manufacturing Malaysia’s plant in Shah Alam, the new PHEV XC40 is priced at RM241,997 on the road, without insurance, and inclusive of the sales tax exemptions (100%). This puts the new Volvo XC40 Recharge T5 at an approximately RM10k over the non-PHEV T5 variant, which now goes for RM231,651.
Similar to the existing T5 variant, The new XC40 Recharge T5 variant is also dressed in the same sportier trim R-Design trim, which includes the blacked-out front grille, door mirrors, side windows, skid plates, alongside the two-tone roof painted in Black Stone.
In terms of exterior features, the PHEV XC40 is also similarly equipped to the petrol-powered T5 variant, with standard features such as:
- Full-LED headlamps with Active High Beam and Active Bending Lights
- LED daytime-running lights with iconic “Thor’s hammer” signature
- LED combination tail lamps, fog lamps
- 19-inch five-double-spoke alloy wheels with matte black diamond cut accents
- Integrated roof rails
- Five exterior colour options: Crystal White Pearl, Bursting Blue Metallic, Black Stone, Coral Red Metallic, Glacier Silver Metallic
To differentiate between the PHEV and non-PHEV siblings, the XC40 Recharge T5 comes with an additional charging port on the left front fender, while a Recharge emblem is emblazoned on the C-pillars. At the rear, the PHEV XC40’s rear bumpers are also devoid of any integrated exhaust exits.
The Volvo XC40 Recharge T5 is powered by a 1.5-litre turbocharged three-cylinder petrol engine, paired to a single electric motor sandwiched between the engine and seven-speed wet dual-clutch transmission.
- Engine max rated output: 180 hp, 265 Nm
- Electric motor max rated output: 82 hp, 160 Nm
- Total combined system max horsepower: 262 hp @ 5,800 rpm
- Total combined system max torque: 425 Nm @ 1,500-3,000 rpm
- 0-100 km/h: 7.3 seconds
- Top speed: 180 km/h (electrically-limited)
Just like the T5, the Malaysian-specification XC40 Recharge T5 is also equipped with the sports chassis as standard. However, due to the placement of the electric motor, drive from the powertrain is only sent to the front wheels, instead of all four wheels like the existing petrol-powered T5.
Juiced by a 10.7-kWh lithium-ion battery pack, the Volvo XC40 Recharge T5 boasts a 44 km pure electric driving range from one single charge, and can be recharged with the onboard 3.7 kW AC charger in three hours (five hours using a regular 2.3 kW wall socket).
Inside, the Volvo XC40 Recharge T5 is also similarly equipped to the petrol-powered T5 version. Standard equipment include:
- 9.0-inch Sensus Connect infotainment touchscreen; Android Auto, Apple CarPlay
- Eight-speaker, 250-watt audio system
- Wireless mobile phone charging pad
- R-Design sports front seats, power adjustable with driver’s side memory function
- Leather/Nubuck upholstery
- Dual-zone automatic climate control with Clean Zone
- Power-operated tailgate with hands-free operation
SAFETY AND CONVENIENCE
In terms of safety, the XC40 Recharge T5 is equipped with Volvo’s Intellisafe advanced driver assistance suite, with features including:
- City Safety suite (collision avoidance and mitigation with intersection support)
- Driver Alert Control
- Lane Keeping Aid
- Run-Off Road Mitigation with Road Edge Detection
- Oncoming Lane Mitigation
- Blind Spot Information System with Steer Assist
- Cross Traffic Alert with Autobrake
- Adaptive Cruise Control with Pilot Assist
- Park Assist (front & rear)
Other standard equipment on the PHEV XC40 include seven airbags as standard, alongside the passive safety systems such as Hill Start Assist, Hill Descent Control, ABS with EBD, and electronic stability control.
As mentioned above, the new Volvo XC40 Recharge T5 is priced at RM241,997 on the road, without insurance, and inclusive of the sales tax exceptions. Included in the price is a five-year unlimited mileage factory warranty, alongside an eight-year/160,000 km PHEV battery warranty.
The Volvo XC40 Recharge T5 is now available for booking in Malaysia, either online via the website linked here, or at all Volvo authorised dealerships nationwide.