Hyundai Sime Darby Malaysia has unveiled the all-new Hyundai Elantra here in Malaysia. Available in only a single variant, the Hyundai Elantra is priced at RM158,888 on the road without insurance, and inclusive of the sales tax exemptions.
The all-new Elantra is the second model in the Hyundai stable after the Sonata to carry the ‘Sensuous Sportiness’ design philosophy, which is characterised by its sloping coupe-like roofline and the lower overall ride height.
In terms of dimensions, the seventh-generation Hyundai Elantra is now 25 mm wider, 56 mm longer, and 20 mm lower than its outgoing model, measuring in at 4,675 mm long, 1,825 mm wide and 1,430 mm tall, with a wheelbase of 2,720 mm.
Specific to this model is also the “parametric jewel” motif, which utilises sharp lines and geometric shapes in its styling. The motif is most evident in the large “cascading grille” with integrated turn signal indicators, functional air curtain inlets on the front bumper, Z-shaped character lines on the side, and the aggressive integrated rear spoiler.
Other exterior highlights include:
- Full automatic LED headlights with LED daytime-running lights
- LED tail lights (H-shaped design)
- Dual-tone 17-inch alloy wheels, 225/45 profile Kumho Ecsta PS71
- Smart Trunk automatic boot opening feature
- Four exterior colours: Polar White, Electric Shadow, Amazon Grey, Intense Blue
The all-new Hyundai Elantra is offered in Malaysia in only one single variant at launch, powered by the SmartStream G1.6 MPI naturally-aspirated engine.
- Engine: 1.6-litre naturally-aspirated four-cylinder petrol engine
- Transmission: Hyundai Intelligent Variable Transmission (IVT)
- Drivetrain: Front engine, front-wheel drive (FF)
- Max horsepower: 123 hp @ 6,300 rpm
- Max torque: 154 Nm @ 4,500 rpm
- 0-100 km/h: 10.4 seconds
- Top speed: 196 km/h
- rated fuel consumption: 5.6 l/100km
The new Intelligent Variable Transmission (IVT) gearbox is essentially a CVT with eight virtual gear, but instead of a regular push belt, it is driven by a chain belt paired to a tensioner mechanism. Hyundai says that the new IVT gearbox not only improves responses and “reproduces the manual transmission’s shifting pattern”, but also reduces engine power loss by 5-8%, at the same time improving fuel economy by 4.2%.
The cabin of the seventh-generation Hyundai Elantra adopts an “immersive cocoon” design, which sees all the control surfaces tilted slightly towards the driver, surrounded by a wrap-around trim piece to emulate a fighter-jet cockpit. To emphasise the width of the car, Hyundai also used a low, wide structure that runs from door to door, integrating the air vents neatly into the trim element itself.
Due to the fastback styling on the all-new Elantra, the entire cabin compartment has been shifted rearward by 50 mm, starting from the front cowl. However, Hyundai says that the cabin space has not been impacted, but rather increased due to the increased overall dimensions of the vehicle. Rear legroom have been expanded by 58 mm, while boot space is also larger than before, now rated at over 470 litres.
The interior upholstery of the all-new Elantra can be specified in either black (natural leather and Tricot) or a two-tone light-grey scheme (white natural leather and woven fabric).
Interior highlights of the all-new Hyundai Elantra include:
- 10.25-inch Supervision TFT digital instrument cluster
- 8-inch Infotainment Display
- Apple CarPlay, Android Auto
- Bluetooth multi-connection
- Dual-zone automatic climate control with rear vents
- Ventilated, heated front seats, Smart Temperature Comfort Control
- 8-way power adjustable driver seat with 2-way lumbar support
- Heated steering wheel
- Wireless smartphone charger
- Electronic parking brake with auto-hold
- Variable cup holders
The all-new Hyundai Elantra in Malaysia is equipped with the brand’s latest SmartSense advance driver assistance suite, which includes the following features:
- Forward Collision Avoidance Assist (FCA) – Vehicle, Pedestrian, Cyclist
- Forward Collision Avoidance Assist, Junction (FCA-JT)
- Blind-spot Collision Avoidance Assist (BCA)
- Rear Cross Traffic Collision-Avoidance Assist (RCCA)
- Safe Exit Warning (SEW)
- Driver Attention Warning (DAW) with Leading Vehicle Departure Alert (LVDA)
- Lane Keep Assist (LKA)
- Lane Following Assist (LFA)
- Smart Cruise Control (SCC) with stop and go function
- Rear Occupant Alert
- Tyre Pressure Monitoring System
Other safety features include six airbags as standard (driver, front passenger, side, and curtains), ABS with brake assist, electronic brake force distribution, electronic stability control, vehicle stability management, traction control, and hill-start assist, and two Isofix mounts on the rear seats.
As mentioned above, the all-new Hyundai Elantra is priced at RM158,888 on the road, without insurance, and inclusive of the sales tax exemptions. Included in the price is also a 5-year/300,000 km warranty, and a 3-year/50,000 km free service maintenance programme.
The all-new Hyundai Elantra is now available for viewing at all Hyundai dealerships nationwide.