Following the introduction of the non-hybrid Corolla Cross in Malaysia last year, UMW Toyota has expanded the line-up to now include the Corolla Cross Hybrid, priced at RM136,550.
As it is a hybrid, UMW Toyota is offering an 8-year warranty on the batteries, inverter unit, and power management control ECU. As for the crossover itself, it’ll come with a 5-year unlimited mileage warranty.
- Engine: 1.8-litre 4-cylinder VVT-i
- Transmission: E-CVT
- Max Power: 98 hp @ 5,200 rpm
- Max Torque: 142 Nm @ 3,600 rpm
- Electric motor: 53 hp & 163 Nm
- Combined system output: 122 hp
The electric motor is powered by a 6.5 Ah nickel-metal hydride battery, placed under the rear seats, and together with the 2ZR-XFE engine, sends power to the front wheels.
The only way to differentiate the standard non-hybrid 1.8 Corolla Cross and the hybrid variant is through the headlamps along with the front and rear badges which are finished with blue details. The rest of the exterior, is identical to the 1.8V and 1.8E variants.
- 18-inch wheels
- Automatic LED headlamps
- LED daytime running lights
- LED front and rear fog lights
- Roof rails
- Hands-free powered tailgate with kick sensor
Inside, the Corolla Cross Hybrid stands out from the standard 1.8 model with different floor mats and a larger 7-inch multi-information display compared to the 4.2-inch unit in the non-hybrid model.
Other features offered exclusively in the hybrid variant are features like the dual-zone air conditioning system, electrochromic rear-view mirror, and a drive mode selector with Sport, Eco, Normal, and EV mode.
- 9-inch infotainment with Apple CarPlay & Android Auto
- Six speakers
- Dual-zone air conditioning system
- Electrochromic rear-view mirror
- Panoramic view monitor
- 8 way powered seats for the driver
It’s worth noting that bootspace in the Corolla Cross Hybrid is not affected with the additional batteries under the seat and is also rated at 440-litres, just like the non-hybrid models. It does come with a smaller fuel tank than the standard 1.8 model, at just 36-litres compared to the 47-litre tank on the former.
The Corolla Cross Hybrid comes with seven airbags, hill-start assist, six parking sensors, a blindspot monitor, rear-cross traffic alert, along with the full Toyota Safety Sense system which includes:
- Pre-collision System
- Dynamic Radar Cruise Control
- Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist
- Lane Tracing Assist
- Automatic High Beam