Mitsubishi Motors Malaysia (MMM) today officially launched the Triton Athlete, replacing the Triton Adventure X as the flagship variant of the Triton line-up in Malaysia.
MMM is pricing the new fully-imported Mitsubishi Triton Athlete at RM141,500. Compared to the Adventure X it replaces, the Triton Athlete is RM3,600 dearer.
The Triton Athlete makes a bold statement upfront, with black dominating the “dynamic shield” design maintaining the Bi-LED headlamps with LED DRLs. Further exterior highlights exclusive for the Triton Athlete include:
- Gloss black radiator grille and surround
- Gloss black front under garnish
- Gloss black rear bumper
- Black door and tailgate handles
- Door visors
- Black side steps
- Black 18-inch wheels, 265/60R18 tyres
- ‘ATHLETE’ graphics
The Triton Athlete is only available in three colours- the recently introduced Sun Flare Orange Pearl, White Diamond and Jet Black Mica. A ‘flying design’ sports bar is also fitted as standard.
No changes are made to the mechanical aspects of the Triton Athlete. Similar to the Triton Adventure X it replaces, the powertrain consists of the 2.4-litre turbodiesel engine.
- Engine: 2.4-litre, VGT turbodiesel, MIVEC
- Transmission: 6-speed automatic transmission
- Drivetrain: Electronic shift-on-the-fly Super Select 4WD II, Off-road mode
- Max horsepower: 181 hp @ 3,500 RPM
- Max torque: 430 Nm @ 2,500 RPM
Precise power delivery, especially on challenging terrain, is controlled via the first-in-class Super Select 4WD II system with four off-road modes. Find out why this 4WD system coupled with the best-in-class 5.9-metre turning radius is excellent in our video here.
Inside the cabin of the Triton Athlete, key touchpoints have been revised for more personality. The multi-function leather-wrapped steering wheel now comes with orange stitching and this is also repeated on the shift lever knob. Other notable features include:
- Illuminated door scuff plates
- Automatic rain-sensing wipers
- Steering wheel-mounted shift paddles
- Power-adjustable driver’s seat
- Leatherette upholstery
- Leatherette knee pads for front occupants
- 7-inch touchscreen infotainment system with Apple Carplay and Android Auto connectivity
- Automatic air-conditioning
- Ceiling-mounted rear air-blower
- USB charger for rear occupants
Being the flagship variant, the Mitsubishi Triton Athlete comes loaded with plenty of advanced safety features. Notable items include:
- 7 airbags
- Forward Collision Mitigation (FCM) with Warning & Autonomous Function
- Blind Spot Warning (BSW) with Lane Change Assist (LCA) & Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
- Ultrasonic Misacceleration Mitigation System (UMS), forward and reverse
- Hill Descent Control (HDC)
- All Round Monitor (ARM)
- Driving Video Recorder (DVR)
The Triton is gaining its popularity as Malaysia’s favourite pick-up truck, recorded a sales performance of 7,598 units in the most recent MMM’s financial year (April ’20 to March ’21), representing a 32% increase in sales compare to the previous year.
MMM also just recorded their best quarterly sales ever, with 4,156 units delivered between January to March 2021.
Prices (on-the-road, private registration and without insurance) for the fully-imported Mitsubishi Triton pick-up range start from RM79,890 for the 2WD Triton Quest, with the Triton 4WD MT is just a trickle over the RM100k mark at RM100,200. The automatic transmission variant is priced RM5,790 more at RM105,990.
Moving up the ladder are the Triton Premium variants, again available in both manual and automatic transmissions. Prices are RM113,300 and RM121,000 respectively. Apart from the 2WD Quest, all Triton 4WD models are backed by an impressive five-year/200,000 km warranty coverage, whichever comes first.