Mercedes-Benz Malaysia’s AMG performance division today gained a new addition to its model line-up, the Mercedes-AMG GLE 53 4Matic+ Coupe, as part of the company’s premium SUV triple threat today alongside the GLS 450 and GLE 450 Coupe.
The Mercedes-AMG GLE 53 4Matic+ Coupe is priced starting at RM 787,357.88 in Malaysia, on the road, without insurance, and inclusive of the sales tax exemptions that are in place until the end of 2020.
Based on the GLE Coupe that was launched alongside it today, the performance-variant SUV-Coupe gains some additional AMG-exclusive parts befitting to its performance potential. These include:
- Panamericana front grille
- AMG front bumper with signature A-wing design
- AMG rear bumper with integrated diffuser and quad tailpipe exits
- AMG Night Package – blacked-out rear trims including rear diffuser, window surrounds
- bootlid spoiler
- 22-inch AMG cross-spoke forged alloy wheels
Otherwise, the aluminium-look illuminated running boards, panoramic sliding sunroof, and Multibeam LED headlamps with Adaptive Highbeam Assist Plus are shared between the two.
The 53-badged AMG model here is powered by the same 3.0-litre turbocharged inline-six engine as the regular GLE 450 (not a full-blown one man one engine unit), though tuned to a higher output. It also gains a higher-performance nine-speed AMG Speedshift TCT 9G automatic transmission for a sportier driving experience.
- Engine: M256 3.0-litre turbocharged straight-six with EQ Boost mild-hybrid technology
- Transmission: nine-speed AMG Speedshift Torque-Clutch (TCT) 9G automatic
- Drivetrain: 4Matic+ all-wheel drive
- Suspension: AirMatic air suspension with Adaptive Damping System Plus
- Max horsepower: 435 hp
- Max torque: 520 Nm
- 0-100 km/h: 5.3 seconds
- Top speed: electronically-limited 250 km/h
As a full-fledged AMG model, the GLE 53 Coupe is equipped with several performance-enhancing features, including the 4Matic+ fully-variable all-wheel drive system for optimum traction, AMG Dynamic Select with seven-different drive modes to fine tune the engine and transmission response, AMG Active Ride Control+ body roll stabilisation, as well as an AMG performance exhaust system.
Inside, the Mercedes-AMG GLE 53 Coupe is spruced up with the typical AMG touches, including carbon-fibre trim pieces, AMG multi-contour sports seats, illuminated AMG door sill plates, and an AMG Performance steering wheel fitted with the AMG steering wheel buttons and swivel wheel.
The dual 12.3-inch displays remain the same, though enhanced with AMG specific functions and display modes. Other interior highlights include:
- AMG-specific instrument cluster display modes
- AMG Track Pace
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto connectivity
- Mercedes me telematics and connected services
- Dual-zone automatic climate control
- Wireless charging pad
- Burmester sound system
Safety equipment wise, the GLE 53 Coupe is unchanged from the GLE 450 Coupe. As such, the following safety features can be found on the AMG-tuned variant as well.
- Adaptive cruise control with Active Distance Assist and Active Steering Assist
- Active Parking Assist with Parktronic
- 360-degree around-view monitor
- Mercedes-Benz Driving Assistance Package
- Exit warning
- Tyre pressure monitoring system