Alongside the launch of the third-generation GLS 450 4Matic, Mercedes-Benz Malaysia today also launched the GLE Coupe body style here in our country. It will be offerd in the 450 4Matic AMG Line variant, as well as a full-fledged performance-oriented Mercedes-AMG GLE 53 Coupe.
Joining the existing GLE 450 that was launched here last year, the Mercedes-Benz GLE 450 Coupe 4Matic AMG Line is priced from RM 661,009.42 here in Malaysia, on the road, without insurance, and inclusive of the sales tax exemptions that will be in effect until the end of 2020. As standard, each GLE 450 Coupe will also come with a four-year/unlimited-mileage warranty.
The Coupe body style shortens the length of the SUV by 60 mm compared to the regular Mercedes-Benz GLE. Other than the slight dimension changes, the exterior of GLE Coupe is dressed quite similarly to its regular-shaped sibling, aside from the obvious sloping coupe roofline and a flatter-angled windshield of course.
Fitted with the AMG Line exterior package, the GLE 450 4Matic Coupe gets the following exterior highlights:
- AMG Line front fascia with diamond mesh grille, and AMG-Line front bumper
- AMG Line rear bumper with integrated diffuser with wide chrome trim, surrounding the twin exhaust exits
- Multibeam LED headlights with Adaptive Highbeam Assist Plus
- LED taillights
- 21-inch AMG multi-spoke light-alloy wheels (Regular GLE gets 22-inch units)
- Panoramic sliding sunroof
- Aluminium-look, illuminated running boards with rubber studs
Similar to the existing GLE 450, the GLE 450 Coupe is also powered by the same 3.0-litre turbocharged inline-six engine. As such, power output figures are identical, down to the 0-100 km/h times.
- Engine: M256 3.0-litre turbocharged straight-six with EQ Boost mild-hybrid technology
- Transmission: 9G-Tronic nine-speed automatic
- Drivetrain: 4Matic all-wheel drive
- Suspension: AirMatic air suspension
- Max horsepower: 367 hp
- Max torque: 500 Nm
- 0-100 km/h: 5.7 seconds
- Top speed: electronically-limited 250 km/h
The dashboard architecture on the Coupe bodystyle is unsurprisingly identical to the regular Mercedes-Benz GLE. However, the Coupe does gain an additional sporty touch befitting its exterior looks, thanks to the Nappa leather sports seats in front and sports steering wheel, the former includes as standard a four-way lumbar support adjustment.
Despite having a 60 mm shorter wheelbase, Mercedes-Benz says that the GLE Coupe is still plenty spacious, especially when compared to its predecessor. The door openings have also been enlarged by 35 mm to aid with ingress and egress.
Compared to the outgoing GLE Coupe, the new model also boasts a 40-litres larger cargo space at 655 litres, and 70-litres larger at at 1790 litres with the rear seats folded down. Thanks to the Airmatic suspension, the entire car can also be lowered by 50 mm with just a press of a button, which will be particularly useful when loading heavy items.
Other interior highlights include:
- Dual 12.3-inch displays with Mercedes-Benz User Experience (MBUX)
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto connectivity
- Mercedes me telematics and connected services
- Dual-zone automatic climate control
- Anthracite open-pore oak wood and artico leather trims
- Designo red seat belts
- Wireless charging pad
The Malaysian-specification Mercedes-Benz GLE 450 Coupe comes as standard with the following safety equipment:
- Adaptive cruise control with Active Distance Assist and Active Steering Assist
- Active Parking Assist with Parktronic
- 360-degree around-view monitor
- Mercedes-Benz Driving Assistance Package
- Exit warning
- Tyre pressure monitoring system