Mercedes-Benz Malaysia today introduced the third-generation Mercedes-Benz GLS SUV here on our shores. Available in Malaysia only in the 450 4Matic AMG Line variant currently, the Mercedes-Benz GLS will go head-to-head against the BMW X7 and Lexus LX.
Launched alongside the GLE 450 Coupe and AMG GLE 53 Coupe, the Mercedes-Benz GLS 450 4Matic AMG Line is priced at RM899,888 on the road, without insurance. The price is inclusive of the 10% sales and service tax, as the car is only expected to arrive on our shores in 2021.
The big daddy Mercedes-Benz SUV’s is styled along the philosophy of “modern luxury with the character of an off-roader”, featuring chrome plated skid plates, muscular rear haunches, and aluminium-look running boards to suggest its performance.
One of the bigger changes on the third-generation GLS is it’s size, particularly lengthwise which has now grown to a whopping 5,207 mm (+77 mm), with most of the added length going to the wheelbase (+60 mm), giving the seven-seater SUV a more balanced proportion.
The Mercedes-Benz GLS in Malaysia is fitted with the AMG Line exterior package, which includes the following exterior highlights:
- Multibeam LED headlights with 112 LEDs per side
- LED taillights
- AMG Line front bumper with “bone-shaped” air-inlet grille design
- AMG Line rear bumper with chrome trim strip surrounding twin exhaust finishers
- 22-inch AMG multi-spoke light-alloy wheels
- Aluminium-look running boards with rubber studs
- Electric panoramic sliding sunroof
- Power-closing doors
Matching its powerful stature is the 3.0-litre turbocharged straight-six mild hybrid engine underneath the hood, with performance hinted by the two powerdomes on the bonnet.
- Engine: M256 3.0-litre turbocharged straight-six with EQ Boost mild hybrid technology
- Transmission: 9G-Tronic nine-speed automatic
- Drivetrain: 4Matic all-wheel drive
- Suspension: AirMatic air suspensions with Adaptive Damping System Plus
- Max horsepower: 367 hp (22 hp EQ Boost)
- Max torque: 500 Nm (250 Nm EQ Boost)
- 0-100 km/h: 6.2 seconds
- Top speed: 246 km/h
Being the “S-Class among the SUVs”, the GLS is suitably luxurious inside, with a dashboard design that is reminiscent of the smaller GLE. Interior highlights of the Mercedes-Benz GLS in Malaysia include:
- Dual 12.3-inch displays with Mercedes-Benz User Experience (MBUX)
- Dual 11.6-inch MBUX rear-seat entertainment system
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto connectivity
- Mercedes me telematics and connected services
- Wireless charging pad
- Burmester surround sound system
- Two wireless headset for rear-seat entertainment
- Thermotronic four-zone climate control
- Powered front-seats with memory function and 4-way lumbar support
- Powered double sunblinds for the rear doors
- Easy-Entry electronically-adjusted second-row seats, easier ingress and egress for third-row passengers
The interior is finished in the Exclusive interior package, which includes high-gloss anthracite lime wood trims, Artico man-made leather dashboard, and a Nappa leather steering wheel.
With all the rear seats folded down – where there are dedicated buttons in the boot that will do it for you electronically – the Mercedes-Benz GLS boasts a cargo space of 2,400 litres. The air suspension can also be lowered by 50 mm with the buttons to make the load floor more accessible, helpful when loading heavy items into the boot.
In terms of safety, the Malaysian-specification GLS 450 4Matic is equipped with the following:
- Mercedes-Benz Pre-Safe collision prevention system
- Active Parking Assist with Parktronic
- 360-degree around-view camera
- Exit warning
- Magic Vision Control wipers
- Tyre pressure monitoring system
- Mercedes-Benz Driving Assistance Package including adaptive cruise control with lane-keep assist, evasive steering assist, and active brake assist with cross-traffic support