After an extensive teaser period, the Ora Good Cat has now finally made its official debut in Malaysia. The fully-electric compact hatchback will be offered in two specifications at launch: 400 Pro and 500 Ultra, priced at RM139,800 and RM169,800 respectively.
As part of its teaser campaign, members of the media have already been given the chance to sample the Ora Good Cat in person on a media drive recently. Be sure to check out our first hands-on experience video to see how it actually performs!
The highlight of the Ora Good Cat is undoubtedly its cute and quirky looks, which is actually designed by former Porsche designer, Emanual Derta – we can certainly see a little bit of the Porsche 911 influence here, although its more bulbous silhouette is perhaps more reminiscent of another Porsche cousin, the Volkswagen Beetle.
But don’t let its adorable looks in the photos fool you, because the Ora Good Cat is still quite a sizeable car, measuring in at 4,235 mm long, 1,825 mm wide, 1,596 mm tall, and with a 2,650 mm wheelbase. That puts it roughly in the same size segment as a Proton X50, but just a little bit shorter in both length and height.
In terms of exterior specifications, the Ora Good Cat comes equipped as standard with:
- Ora Good Cat 400 Pro
- LED headlights with LED daytime-running lights
- LED tail lights
- 18-inch alloy wheels
- Automatic headlights and rain-sensing wipers
- Electric panoramic sunroof
- Powered wing mirrors
- Ora Good Cat 500 Ultra (Adds)
- Welcome lighting effect
- Memory function for the powered wing mirrors
- Exterior colour options: Hamilton White (optional black roof), Sun Black, Coral Blue, Mars Red/Black, Hazel Wood Beige/Wisdom Brown (500 Ultra exclusive), Verdant Green/White (500 Ultra exclusive)
Both variants share the same base powertrain underneath the bonnet, consisting of a single electric motor on the front axle capable of dishing out 105 kW (143 hp) and 210 Nm of torque, translating to a 0-100 km/h sprint in 7.9 seconds.
On the 400 Pro, the motor is paired to a 47.8 kWh battery pack that promises a driving range of roughly 400 km (NEDC test cycle, WLTP figures will be lower). The 500 Ultra meanwhile gets a larger 63.1 kWh battery pack, translating to a 500 km EV range (NEDC) – the range is where its name comes from, by the way, if it isn’t obvious enough yet.
For charging, the Ora Good Cat features an on-board 6.6 kW AC charger, which takes eight hours to fully charge on the 400 Pro, and 10 for the 500 Ultra. DC fast charging is also supported at up to 60 kW, letting you charge from 0-80% in roughly 46 minutes on the 400 Pro, and 60 minutes on the Ultra.
The Ora Good Cat’s cabin is just as quirky as its exterior, characterised by a unique two-tone dashboard design. Slthough that option is only exclusive to the 500 Ultra variant; the Ora Good Cat 400 Pro gets an all-black interior. In terms of specification, the compact EV hatchback is quite similarly equipped across both variants, with the 500 Ultra getting some additional creature comforts.
- Ora Good Cat 400 Pro
- 7.0-inch digital instrument cluster
- 10.25-inch touchscreen infotainment display, four speakers
- Automatic climate control with PM2.5 filter
- 6-way powered driver seats
- Synthetic leather upholstery, Suede leather dashboard topper
- Keyless entry and start
- Electronic parking brake and shifter
- Wireless mobile phone charging pad
- 4 speakers
- 4 USB ports including 1 for front dashcam
- 360-degree surround-view monitor
- Ora Good Cat 500 Ultra (Adds)
- Driver seat memory with welcome function
- Driver seat massage function
- Side mirror memory function
- 6 speakers
- Two-tone interior upholstery options: Brown/Beige, Green/Grey
Safety wise, the Ora Good Cat comes as standard with six airbags, four rear parking sensors, hill-start assist, tyre pressure monitoring system, as well as a suite of SAE Level 2 autonomous driving-capable advanced driver assistance features, consisting of:
- Adaptive cruise control with intelligent turning and traffic jam assist
- Autonomous emergency braking with intersection support
- Front collision warning
- Lane keeping assist and lane centring assist
- “Wisdom dodge” system
- Lane departure warning
The range-topping 500 Ultra variants add on even more niceties, including additional front parking sensors, a “full-auto” integrated parking system, auto-reversing assistance, lane-change assist, emergency lane keeping, blind-spot detection, door-open warning rear collision warning, as well as rear cross-traffic alert and braking.
READ MORE: Ora Good Cat leads EV sales in Thailand
The Ora Good Cat is now available in Malaysia, priced at:
- Ora Good Cat 400 Pro – RM139,800
- Ora Good Cat 500 Ultra – RM169,800
Included in the price is a five-year/150,000 km warranty, an eight-year/180m000 km battery warranty, five time free labour maintenance, as well as complimentary portable and home chargers.
The Ora Good Cat is one of several models announced for our market when Great Wall Motors officially entered Malaysia in July. The company plans to unveil nine new models in three years, including models in various segments such as sedans, SUVs, and even pick-up trucks, with a goal of being the “xEV leader in Malaysia”.
GWM also added that it’ll unveil its first five service centres by the end of December 2022, covering the majority of Peninsular Malaysia’s major cities.