In addition to the new 330Li, BMW Malaysia today also introduced a new variant of the X3 SUV (or ‘SAV’ in BMW-speak) here on our shores, in the form of the sDrive20i – ‘s’ meaning single-axle drive, with power sent to the rear wheels only.
The new locally-assembled BMW X3 sDrive20i will sit at the bottom of the X3 model line-up in Malaysia, priced from RM270,934 without insurance, and inclusive of the SST exemptions.
The BMW X3 sDrive20i for the Malaysia market is dressed in the xLine package, which adds decorative matte aluminium trims on the front air inlets, side skirts, and bumpers, the latter akin to underbody bash plates.
Other exterior highlights include:
- LED headlights with cornering lights
- 19-inch Y-spoke alloys, Style 694
- BMW Individual Exterior Line, Aluminium Satinated
- Roof rails, Aluminium Satinated
- Exterior colour options: Alpine White, Glacier Silver, Black Sapphire, Pythonic Blue
Underneath the bonnet of the X3 sDrive20i is the same B48 TwinPower Turbo petrol engine as found in the xDrive30i, but down-tuned to a lower output. Unique to the new variant is also the sDrive powertrain, which sends power to the rear wheels only instead of all four wheels on the xDrive30i.
- Engine: B48 two-litre (1,998 cc) four-cylinder turbocharged, petrol
- Transmission: Eight-speed automatic with Steptronic and Automatic Hold Function
- Drivetrain: Front-engine, rear-wheel drive
- Horsepower: 184 hp @ 5,000 – 6,500 rpm
- Torque: 300 Nm @ 1,350 – 4,000 rpm
- 0-100 km/h: 8.2 seconds
- Top speed: 215 km/h
The under-tuned engine boasts lowered carbon emissions, alongside a lowered fuel consumption figure of 7.1 l/100km.
Inside, the standard features on the new BMW X3 sDrive20i is pretty-much identical to the xDrive30i Luxury, with the only difference being the trim finishers – the new variant gets a more “youthful” Black High-Gloss and Pearl Chrome combination, instead of the wood panels on the Luxury variant.
Standard equipment on the new sDrive20i include:
- BMW Live Cockpit Plus analogue instrument cluster with a 5.7-inch multi-info display
- 8.8-inch iDrive touchscreen infotainment display
- 12-speaker HiFi sound system
- Three-zone automatic air conditioning system
- Power-adjustable front sport seats – memory function for driver
- Black Vernasca leather upholstery, black stitching
- Comfort Access System – handsfree powered tailgate
- Storage Compartment Package
- 550 litres of luggage capacity
CONVENIENCE & SAFETY
The new BMW X3 sDrive20i goes one up over the existing xDrive30i with the addition of the BMW Driving Assistant advanced driver assistance systems alongside the existing Parking Assistant, which includes the following features:
- Forward collision warning with autonomous emergency braking
- Rear collision warning
- Speed limit assist
- Blind spot monitor
- Rear cross traffic alert
- Lane departure warning with active steering intervention
- Reverse assistant
Also standard is the BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant, alongside connectivity features such as the new My BMW app, which provides access to a wide range of remote services, on-the-go navigation, as well as e-mobility features.
The new BMW X3 sDrive20i is priced from RM270,934 on the road, without insurance, and inclusive of the SST exemptions. However, the aforementioned price only comes with a standard two-year warranty.
For the full five-year/unlimited mileage warranty with free scheduled service programme, the price rises up to RM286,684 – a RM15,740 premium.