Alongside the launch of the fully-electric MINI Cooper SE, MINI Malaysia today also introduced the MINI John Cooper Works GP, the most extreme MINI ever built.
Limited to only 3,000 units globally, only 10 will make its way onto our shores, priced at RM 377,490,70 on the road, without insurance, and inclusive of the sales tax exemptions.
Of course, the JCW GP is still a MINI after all, so it still has the iconic silhouette, along with the elliptical headlights and Union Jack taillights – though the latter two have been darkened to suit the loud and aggressive stature of the JCW GP. Model specific exterior features include:
- GP-specific front and rear fascias
- JCW hood scoop and honeycomb grille design
- Hexagonal radiator grille
- Flared wheel arch with “spats”, hand-crafted from carbon fibre reinforced plastic (CFRP) and numbered 0000 to 3000 depending on serial number
- Roof-mounted rear wing
- double stainless steel tailpipes – largest diameter ever on a MINI
- 18-inch lightweight (less than 9 kg) forged wheels a JCW GP model-specific four-spoke design
- Exterior in Racing Grey metallic, roof and exterior mirror caps finished in the contrasting Melting Silver metallic; Hexagonal radiator grille, lower air intake inserts, and the inside of the roof spoiler finished in high-gloss Chili Red leaves
The MINI JCW GP is powered by the new uprated 2.0-litre turbocharged John Cooper Works engine, first seen on the JCW Countryman and Clubman.
- Engine: 2.0-litre TwinPower turbocharged four-cylinder petrol
- Transmission: Eight-speed Steptronic automatic transmission
- Drivetrain: Front engine, front wheel drive
- Max horsepower: 306 hp @ 5,000 – 6,250 RPM
- Max Torque: 450 Nm @ 1,750 – 4,500 RPM
- 0-100 km/h: 5.2 seconds
- Top Speed: 265 km/h
The additional 74 hp and 100 Nm of output compared to the previous JCW models comes from the upgraded engine internals, newly engineered turbocharger, larger intakes and reworked exhaust. The JCW GP is also equipped with a model-specific upgraded oil and cooling system to ensure that oil and air supply is uninterrupted during track driving.
As a result, the JCW GP gains an additional 15 km/h at the top end of the speedometer compared to the other JCW models.
Other performance improvements include an improved braking system featuring 360 mm discs and four piston front calipers, reinforced engine bay and chassis, a stiffer and more complex suspension set-up and bushings, and a mechanical differential lock for the front wheels.
The track widths of the MINI JCW GP have also been increased, while the body lowered by an additional 10 mm compared to the regular JCW models to increase agility on track.
The ridiculousness of the JCW GP continues inside, with the rear seats completely stripped out, replaced by a cross brace to make the JCW GP a two-seater only. MINI says that 3D printing is extensively used on the interior, on items such as the interior trims bearing its own serial number (out of 3,000), aluminium shift pedals, and steering wheel clasp.
Other interior highlights on the MINI JCW GP include:
- JCW sports seats in Dinamica leather with silver side edges, red accentuation seams, and GP badges
- Red seat belts
- JCW leather steering wheel with aluminium shift pedals
- 3D printed passenger-side interior trim featuring specific serial number
Although the MINI JCW GP puts significant focus on all-out performance, it is still packed with numerous technology features to make everyday driving easier and more pleasant. These include:
- 8.8-inch MINI Visual Boost infotainment display, with navigation and Apple CarPlay connectivity
- 5-inch black panel digital instrument cluster with analog and digital display modes
- Dual-zone automatic climate control
- Wireless charging pad
- MINI Connected, with functionalities such as Intelligent Emergency Call, MINI TeleServices and Remote Services
- Cruise control with braking function
The MINI John Cooper Works GP is priced at RM 377,470.90 on the road, without insurance, and inclusive of the sales tax exemptions. Included in the price is a four-year unlimited-mileage warranty with free scheduled service programme, along with five-year MINI Roadside Assistance programme.
With BMW Group Financial Services Malaysia’s Balloon Financing programme, the MINI John Cooper Works GP can be yours starting at RM4,184 per month, based on estimates of an 80% loan on a five-year tenure.