In conjunction with the Chinese New Year (CNY) celebration, 7 major traffic offences will be non-compoundable from January 18 to 27. This means that the offenders will be issued a compound fine and will be directly referred to court.
The 7 major offences are:
- Cutting queues
- Overtaking on double lines
- Disobeying the red-light signal
- Driving over the speed limit
- Using mobile phones while driving
- Not wearing a seat belt or helmet
- Driving on the emergency lane
Together with the on-compoundable offences, goods vehicles will also be banned from using the roads two days before CNY (January 20 & 21) and two days after CNY (January 24 & 25). The ban on goods vehicles aims to reduce traffic congestion.
Anthony Loke said, “This ban is aimed to avoid risks of road accidents due to mixed traffic flow between heavy vehicles and light vehicles on the road and on highways.”
The announcement was made by Transport Minister Anthony Loke after launching the Integrated Ops and Road Safety Campaign in conjunction with the upcoming CNY celebration. Recalling the statistics from the same period last year, the Transport Minister said a total of 11,325 road accidents with 119 deaths were recorded.
Loke said, “The number was quite worrying. In my opinion, road safety education among the people of this country has not yet reached the highest level which we can be proud of.”
During the CNY festivities, 2,000 Road Transport Department (JPJ) enforcement officers will be deployed at 14 key locations along highways nationwide to keep tabs on traffic offences. They will be on duty from January 18 to January 27. The JPJ personnel would also travel on express buses as passengers to carry out enforcement activities.