Following the launch of the iX back in August, BMW Malaysia has now unveiled the iX3 here on our shores. The EV SUV will be offered in two variants – iX3 M Sport Inspiring and iX3 M Sport Impressive. Pricing starts at RM317,360, and is now available for viewing and pre-booking at selected BMW dealerships nationwide.
The BMW iX3 arrives at our shores in the facelifted form, featuring a reworked, slimmer headlights with trapezoidal daytime-running lights signature, a larger (conjoined) kidney grille, as well as a redesigned pincer-style 3D taillights.
Both variants comes equipped with the M Sport exterior package on both variants, consisting of the M Sport front and rear bumpers with iX3-specific design, M high-gloss Shadowline (chrome delete for window surrounds), and M Aerodynamics package.
Both variants are also equipped as standard with the panorama glass roof with electric with sun protection roller blind. To differentiate between the two, you’ll have to look at the wheels: the Inspiring comes with a set of 19-inch alloys in Style 842 Bicolour, while the range-topping Impressive gets the 20-inch M aerodynamic wheels in style 890 M Bicolour, replete with run-flat tyres.
The Impressive also gets the BMW Laserlight headlights up front; the Inspiring instead comes with the usual adaptive LED items, though both are equipped with high-beam assist as standard.
Both variants of the BMW iX3 here in Malaysia are powered by the same electric drive unit underneath the sheet metal.
- Drive unit: rear axle single electric motor
- Max output: 210 kW (286 hp)
- Max torque: 400 Nm
- 0-100 km/h: 6.8 seconds
- Top speed: 180 km/h
The electric drive unit is also paired to the same 80 kWh lithium-ion battery pack (73.8 kWh usable), offering up to 461 km of range based on the WLTP test cycle.
Topping up the batteries with a 150 kW DC fast charger takes 32 minutes from 0-80%, while an 11 kW AC wall-box (Type 2 connector) can fill the batteries from empty to 100% in approximately 7.5 hours.
The facelift on the BMW X3 line-up is more apparent on the inside, which gets a heavily reworked dashboard designed inspired by the G20 3 Series. Interior appointments are also similar between the two variants, which comes with the following items:
- BMW Live Cockpit Professional – dual 12.3-inch displays for instrument cluster and centre infotainment display
- 3-zone automatic climate control
- Sport seats with electric adjustments and memory function for driver and front passengers
- M Leather steering wheel
- M headliner in anthracite
- Vernasca leather upholstery
- Stitched Sensatec faux leather dashboard
- Brushed aluminium interior trim with Pearl Chrome finishers and galvanised silver embellishers for the switches
- Comfort Access contactless tailgate access
- Qi wireless charging pad
The range-topping Impressive variant swaps the standard 205W 12-speaker sound system with a 464W 16-speaker Harmon Kardon surround sound system, while adding additional acoustic glazing on the windows, head-up display, 360-degree surround view monitor, gesture control, and the BMW IconicSounds Electric system that was developed with Hans Zimmer.
Safety equipment is also fairly standard across the range, with the full suite of the Driving Assistant Professional systems available across both variants:
- Active Cruise Control with Stop&Go functionality
- Steering and Lane Control Assistant
- Autonomous emergency braking
- Evasion Assistant
- Speed Limit Assist
- Acoustic protection for pedestrians
As mentioned above, the BMW iX3 in Malaysia starts at RM317,360 for the M Sport Inspiring variant (on the road, without insurance), however that only comes without a two-year, unlimited-mileage warranty comes as standard. The prices also include sales tax, which means deliveries will only begin next year after exemptions expire on the 31st of December.
As usual, you’ll be able to upgrade to the five-year Extended Warranty & Service Package at additional cost. A Power Package is also available, which adds a 22 kW BMW i Wallbox and a BMW i Standard Charging Cable at RM5,000 (without installation). The full pricing breakdown is as follows:
- BMW iX3 M Sport Inspiring – RM317,360
- with Extended Warranty & Service Package – RM330,800
- with Power Package – RM322,360
- with Extended Warranty & Service Package and Power Package – RM335,800
- BMW iX3 M Sport Impressive – RM336,360
- with Extended Warranty & Service Package – RM349,800
- with Power Package – RM341,360
- with Extended Warranty & Service Package and Power Package – RM354,800