Alongside the throng of new cars being launched today by BMW Group Malaysia, Mini Malaysia has also unveiled the new Mini Cooper Countryman facelift here in Malaysia. It will be available in two variants for now: the Mini Cooper S Countryman, and Mini Cooper SE Countryman PHEV.
Both variants of the Countryman facelift will be locally-assembled here in Malaysia, priced at RM 244,265.76 and RM 254,461.84 respectively for the S and SE, both on the road, without insurance, and inclusive of sales tax exemptions.
Changes to the exterior styling on this facelift model were fairly minute and evolutionary, with the most noticeable change perhaps being the new Union Jack-inspired tail lights at the rear.
Up front, the radiator grille – while still bearing the same shape – now gets a new hexagonal mesh design pattern. Below it, the bumpers have been redesigned with a new hexagonal lower air intake, flanked by the LED fog lights. New vertical air intakes bookend the front fascia.
As standard, both the Cooper S and Cooper SE Countryman get the following exterior features:
- Rugged-look front and rear bumpers with decorative elements and sump guard in aluminium matt (Mini All4 Exterior Optic)
- Automatic LED headlights with cornering lights
- Decorative bonnet stripes
- Headlight surrounds, rear lights, radiator grille, fender decorations, door handles, rear badging in gloss black (Piano Black Exterior Optic pack)
- Dark tinted tail lamp cover glasses
- 19-inch Alloy wheels – Mini Turnstile Spoke style (Cooper S), Mini Yours British Spoke (Cooper SE)
- Exterior colour options: Chili Red, White Silver, Island Blue, Thunder Grey, British Racing Green, Sage Green
The two variants of the new Mini Cooper Countryman facelift each feature a different powertrain option underneath the bonnet – the S being internal-combustion only, while the SE is a plug-in hybrid model. Both powertrains are unchanged from before.
- Mini Cooper S Countryman
- Engine: 2.0-litre turbocharged inline-four, petrol
- Transmission: 7-speed Dual Clutch Sports Automatic Transmission
- Drivetrain: Front engine, front-wheel drive
- Max horsepower: 192 hp @ 5,000 rpm
- Max torque: 280 hp @ 1,350 rpm
- 0-100 km/h: 7.5 seconds
- Top speed:226 km/h
- Mini Cooper SE Countryman
- Powerplant: 1.5-litre turbocharged inline-three, petrol + electric motor
- Transmission: 6-speed automatic
- Drivetrain: All4 all-wheel drive
- Total combined system max horsepower: 224 hp
- Total combined system max torque: 385 Nm
- 0-100 km/h: 6.8 seconds
- Top speed: 194 km/h
Electric juice on the Cooper SE Countryman PHEV comes from a 10 kWh lithium-ion battery, which can provide up to 48 km of pure electric driving range.
Using a conventional household socket, the battery can be recharged completely via the onboard 2.3 kW charger in approximately 5 hours. A higher-powered 3.7 kW public charger meanwhile tops off the battery pack in 3 hours and 15 seconds.
Inside, both variants of the Mini Cooper Countryman facelift feature the Mini Yours Illuminated cockpit in Shaded Silver. For the first time ever on the Countryman, the new models are also equipped with a five-inch digital instrument cluster, a feature first introduced on the all-electric Cooper SE.
Other interior highlights include the following:
- 8.8-inch infotainment display with navigation, Apple CarPlay, Android Auto
- Walknappa steering wheel
- Head-up display
- Wireless charging pad
- 12-speaker Harman Kardon HiFi sound system
- Carbon black leather seat upholstery
- Comfort Access with Easy Opener automatic tailgate
- Picnic Bench
Also new on the Mini Cooper Countryman facelift is the built-in 4G connectivity within the infotainment system, which enables digital services such as Intelligent Emergency Call, Mini TeleServices, Remote Services, Mini Concierge Service, as well as display crucial vehicle information such as battery status and charge timer (for the Mini Cooper SE Countryman) directly on your mobile phone.
Mini’s Driving Assistant advanced driver assistance suite is standard on both Mini Cooper Countryman variants here in Malaysia. The Driving Assistant system includes features such as:
- High-beam assistant
- Speed limit information
- Person warning, approach control with light city braking function (autonomous emergency braking)
As standard, the Mini Cooper S Countryman and SE Countryman PHEV both come with six airbags onboard.
The new Mini Cooper S Countryman and Cooper SE Countryman PHEV facelift are priced in Malaysia as follows:
- Mini Cooper S Countryman: RM 244,265.76
- Mini Cooper SE Countryman: RM 254,461.84
Both prices listed above are on the road, without insurance, and inclusive of sales tax exemptions. Also included in the price is a 4-year Service and Repair Inclusive package, as well as a 5-year roadside assistance programme.
Every purchase of the Mini Cooper SE Countryman PHEV will come with a complimentary public charging cable, as well as a one-year free subscription of unlimited charging at all ChargEV stations nationwide.