Proton has finally brought back the beloved motorsports-inspired R3 nameplate with the new Iriz R3, launched today alongside three other new black-painted special models, including the Saga R3.
The new limited-edition model brings upon several exclusive R3-themed visual touches to the Iriz 1.6 Premium variant. Limited to 500 units only, the Proton Iriz R3 is priced at RM52,900 a pop.
Much like the Saga Anniversary Edition launched last year, the Proton Iriz R3 gets a coat of Quartz Black paint on the exterior, contrasted with bright yellow accents throughout. Other exterior highlights include:
- R3 body kit – front lip, side skirts
- Yellow accents on the front grille garnish, body kit, rear bumper, side mirror caps
- R3 side decal with ’83’ numbering
- R3 decal on front and rear windscreen, rear wing
- R3 badging and stickers
- 16-inch wheels, dark grey finish
Keen-eyed readers will notice that the 16-inch wheels here, which is one inch larger than the 15s usually offered on the Iriz Premium, is also the same one once adorned by the cult-favourite Proton Satria Neo CPS more than 10 years ago!
The black and yellow theme continues onto the interior, with the following variant-exclusive touches:
- Yellow accents on air vent surrounds, instrument cluster, climate control panel knobs, leather-wrapped steering wheel
- Leatherette seats with yellow accent stitching and embroidered “R3 Limited Edition” badging
- R3 floor mats with yellow accents
- R3 Limited Edition badging on dashboard
Otherwise, the interior of the Iriz R3 is identical to that of the 1.6 Premium variant, including the seven-inch touchscreen infotainment display with “Hi Proton” voice control and various connected services.
All the mechanical bits of the Iriz R3 is also unchanged from the 1.6 Premium variant, which features a 1.6-litre naturally aspirated inline-four engine as the sole power plant option. Despite the racing-inspired nameplate, the Proton Iriz R3 unfortunately does not come with a manual transmission.
- Engine: 1.6 litre VVT DOHC
- Transmission: Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT)
- Drivetrain: Front-engined, front-wheel drive
- Max horsepower: 109 hp @ 5,750 rpm
- Max torque: 150 Nm @ 4,000 rpm
The safety kit from the Premium variant also remains on the Iriz R3, which means there aren’t any additional advanced driver assistance features this time round. Standard safety kit include:
- Six airbags
- Rearview camera
- ABS with EBD, brake assist
- Electronic Stability Control
- Traction control
- Hill Hold Assist
As mentioned above, the Proton Iriz R3 Limited Edition is priced at RM52,900, on the road, without insurance, and inclusive of the sales tax exemptions valid until the 30th of June 2021.
Only 500 units of the Iriz R3 Limited Edition are available, so if you’re interested, better act quick. The motorsports-inspired Proton Iriz is available for booking online via the microsite linked here, at RM9.99 each.