Following its international debut back in 2017 and several previews in our country since 2018, Volkswagen Passenger Cars Malaysia (VPCM) has now finally launched the highly-awaited Volkswagen Arteon here in Malaysia.
The Arteon is available locally in only one single variant – the R-Line – locally assembled in Pekan. It’s priced at RM221,065 on the road, without insurance, and inclusive of the sales tax exemptions in place until the end of the year.
Billed as the Volkswagen CC replacement, the Arteon is characterised by its ultra-stylish looks, featuring a aggressively sloping C-pillar, lower roofline, and frameless doors. Exterior styling highlights include:
- All Weather Light LED headlights with Dynamic Cornering Lights
- LED taillights with dynamic indicators
- Aggressive front chrome grille with R-Line badging
- Rear bootlip spoiler in black
- Lower chrome trimmings
- 19-inch “Montevideo” alloy wheels
- Exterior colour choices: Manganese Grey Metallic, Turmeric Yellow Metallic (shown here), Pyrite Silver Metallic, Deep Black Pearl, Oryx White Pearl.
The powertrain in the Arteon R-Line is lifted directly from the new Passat Elegance, featuring the new and improved 2.0-litre TSI turbocharged petrol engine.
- Engine: 2.0-litre TSI turbocharged petrol engine
- Transmission: seven-speed wet dual-clutch DSG
- Drivetrain: Front engine, Front-wheel drive
- Max horsepower: 190 hp @ 4,180 – 6,000 RPM
- Max torque: 320 Nm @ 1,500 – 4,180 RPM
To help with the driving experience, the Arteon R-Line is also equipped with Dynamic Chassis Control (DCC) as standard, offering up to 15 selectable increments in five different driving modes – Eco, Comfort, Normal, Sport, and Individual.
Despite the sloping fastback design of the Arteon, VW says that the long wheelbase paired and interior architecture design still allows for plenty of headroom and legroom for all five passengers, along with a 563-litre cargo area at the back.
The rest of the interior is pretty similar to the Passat Elegance, save for the new central analogue clock and other R-Line niceties:
- 11.7-inch Digital Cockpit instrument cluster
- 9.2-inch Discover Pro infotainment display with wireless Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, and Mirrorlink
- 700W 11 speakers Dynaudio sound system with 16-channel digital amplifier
- 14-way ErgoComfort seats in “Carbon-Style” Nappa leather and R-Line badging
- Driver seat massage function
- Tri-zone automatic climate control
- Three-colour ambient lighting
- R-Line flat-bottomed steering wheel with paddle shifters
- R-Line stainless steel pedals and scuff plates
- Handsfree powered tailgate with Easy Close (20-second delayed closing)
Although largely based on the Passat Elegance, the new Arteon R-Line does differ slightly in the safety equipment list, namely the addition of an Area View 360-degree camera, and removal of the blind-spot monitoring system.
Unfortunately, advanced driver assistance features such as autonomous emergency braking is still not available on the Arteon R-Line. Other standard safety features include:
- Seven airbags
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with Brake Assist (BA)
- Hill-hold Control
- Proactive Passenger Protection System with Post Collision Braking System and Intelligent Crash Response System (cutting the fuel supply, unlocking the doors, and turning on hazard lights)
- Active Bonnet for pedestrian protection
- Electronic Differential Lock (XDS) to reduce understeer
- Tyre Pressure Monitoring System
- Manouevre braking (automatically applies brakes to prevent collision with detected objects at speeds of up to 10 km/h)
As mentioned above, the Volkswagen Arteon R-Line is now available in Malaysia, priced at RM221,065 on the road, without insurance, and sales tax. Included in the price is a five-year unlimited mileage warranty, three-year free scheduled maintenance package, and five-year roadside assistance.
The new Arteon R-Line will be on display as part of the Volkswagen Tour, happening this entire weekend (starting today) at 1 Utama Shopping Centre. Following the Sales Tax Exemption, for the latest price list of Volkswagen vehicles in Malaysia, click here.