BMW Malaysia today unveiled the latest entry point to its X model series, the X1 sDrive18i, following the debut of the facelifted sDrive20i M Sport variant earlier this year. Launched alongside the X1 today is also the M135i xDrive, which you can read more about it here.
The main differentiating factor here on the new sDrive18i is the powertrain, featuring a 1.5-litre three-cylinder turbocharged engine that was actually crowned the International Engine of the Year Award for five years in a row since 2015.
- Engine: 1.5-litre three-cylinder TwinPower Turbo
- Transmission: 7-speed Steptronic dual-clutch transmission
- Drivetrain: Front-engine, front-wheel drive
- Max horsepower: 140 hp @ 4,600 – 6,500 RPM
- Max torque: 220 Nm @ 1,480 – 4,200 RPM
- 0-100 km/h: 9.6 seconds
- Top speed: 201 km/h
- Fuel consumption: 6.3 l/100km
As standard, the X1 sDrive18i comes with Driving Experience Control which lets the driver switch between driving modes, as well as Performance Control which controls the torque delivery to the wheels, along with brake interventions for an improved cornering capability.
The new BMW X1 sDrive18i is marketed as the new entry-point to the marque’s X model series, and thus it is equipped in the base trim package without all the M Sport trim pieces that the sDrive20i gets. Exterior equipment highlights include:
- LED headlights with LED daytime running lights
- LED taillights
- LED fog lights
- 17-inch light alloy wheels in V-spoke style 560
- Exterior trims in satinated aluminium
- Anti-dazzle wing mirrors with auto-fold function
- Exterior colour options: Alpine White, Mediterranean Blue, Black Sapphire, and Mineral Grey
The inside of the X1 is pretty standard BMW affair. Aside from the removal of several M Sport-specific parts, the interior equipment list is pretty much identical to its elder sDrive20i brother. These include:
- 8.8-inch infotainment display with BMW iDrive Operating System 6.0
- Analogue instrument cluster with Black Panel technology, 5.7-inch multi-info display
- two-zone automatic air conditioning
- Sport leather steering wheel
- Electrically-adjustable front seats with memory function for driver
- Automatic tailgate with handsfree opening and closing
- Dakota leather upholstery in black
- Black high-gloss interior trim finishers with Pearl Chrome highlight
BMW claims that the interior of the X1 is actually the most spacious in the compact SUV segment, boasting a boot capacity of 505 litres. With the seats folded down (40:20:40 split), the cargo space can be expanded to 1,550 litres.
The BMW X1 sDrive18i is equipped with the BMW Personal CoPilot Driving Assistant system, which includes Frontal Collision Warning with braking intervention, Lane Departure Warning, High-beam Assistant, and adaptive cruise control with braking function. Other notable standard safety features include:
- Six airbags (front, side, and curtains)
- Parking Assistant
- Rear view camera
- Dynamic Traction Control (DTC)
- Dynamic Brake Control (DBC)
- Electronic Differential Lock System (EDLC)
- Performance Control
The BMW X1 sDrive18i is now available in Malaysia, priced at RM208,368.48 on the road without insurance, and inclusive of sales tax exemptions, making it the most affordable BMW model available in the country. As standard, the new entry-level X1 comes with:
- BMW 5-Year Unlimited Mileage Warranty with Free Scheduled Service Programme
- BMW Roadside Assistance and Accident Hotline
- The BMW Group Loyalty+ Mobile App – BMW Privileges Card
- BMW Service Online
With the BMW Group Financial Services Malaysia Balloon Financing Plan, the new BMW X1 sDrive18i can be yours from RM 2,378.00 per month, based on estimates of an 80% loan on a five-year tenure.
For the latest revised price list for BMW vehicles in Malaysia, click here.