Mazda tuning specialist, BBR UK has just introduced a turbo kit for the MX-5 ND that not only bumps the power output but also maintains all the factory electronic safety features and emissions compliances. The turbo kit is applicable to all 2.0-litre SkyActiv-G equipped MX-5 ND and yes, that includes the hard-top MX-5 RF.
BBR did not just take a TD04 and strapped it onto the engine and called it a day. They’ve been turbocharging MX-5 Miatas since the late 1980s and wanted to make sure that their latest development complements the high-compression and ultra-efficient SkyActiv-G engines while maintaining refinement and characteristics the SkyActiv range is known for.
As a result, a twin-scroll turbocharger was fitted onto the 1,998cc in-line four-cylinder SkyActiv-G that bumps the stock power output from 158 hp/200 Nm to 234 hp and 320 Nm; 76 hp and a stunning 120 Nm increase! The turbo kit slashes the 0 to 60 mph time from 7.3 seconds to just 5.0 seconds flat, and that makes it faster than the Volkswagen GTI Clubsport!
The reason for using a more advanced twin-scroll turbocharger rather than a single-scroll turbocharger was the lower back pressure characteristics of the twin-scroll unit. This works harmoniously with the SkyActiv-G layout and knock-resistant technologies.
The Stage 1 turbocharger upgrade gives 271 Nm from just 2,750 rpm while max torque (320 Nm) kicks in at 3,250 rpm, highlighting the upgrade’s user-friendly nature. The turbocharger is cleverly designed to be installed without needing any intrusive mechanical alteration onto the stock engine.
Other mechanical upgrades that come with the TSX30-71R twin-scroll turbocharger include:
- BBR bespoke cast iron twin scroll exhaust manifold
- BBR stainless steel downpipe
- BBR high-flow lightweight front mounted aluminium intercooler with factory look black intake pipes
- BBR high-flow custom silicone turbo pipes in factory look black finish with stainless steel hose clamps and unique black coating
- BBR lightweight aluminium battery tray in factory black finish
- BBR recirculating piston type dump valve in factory black finish
- BBR / Bosch MAP / temperature sensor
- BBR high efficiency carbon fibre turbocharger heat shield
- BBR high flow K&N Typhoon induction kit
- BBR stainless steel oil and water lines
- BBR Starchip EcuTek RaceRom calibration software
BBR Stage 1 Mazda MX-5 ND Turbo upgrade retails at £4,995 (RM24k) including parts and installation. BBR also ships internationally (enquire through their website) while US prospects can purchase the upgrade from Flyin’ Miata. If you’re not convinced to go down the blown route, perhaps the BBR Super 200 package would be a safer bet for those who prefer to remain naturally aspirated.