Just a couple of days since it was first teased on social media, Mercedes-Benz Malaysia has now announced the arrival of the all-new S-Class here on our shores. The luxury limousine will be offered here in a sole S 580 e plug-in hybrid variant at launch, and will be locally-assembled here in the Pekan assembly plant.
Pricing for the Mercedes-Benz S 580 e is still pending for now, but the company says that deliveries will commence in mid-January 2022, when pricing will also be officially announced.
Launched globally last year, the all-new S-Class received a complete new design on its exterior, with many of its styling elements borrowed from the other Mercedes-Benz stable mates.
The design is dominated by the massive trapezoidal grille, flanked slim headlights up front, while over at the back it also gets a sleeker, horizontal-oriented tail lights that looks similar in style to that of the Mercedes-Benz CLS.
The S-Class will be offered here in Malaysia in the standard wheelbase version (W223), which is already bigger in every dimension than its outgoing predecessor (54 mm longer, 22 mm wider, 10 mm taller). In terms of standard equipment, the Malaysian-specification Mercedes-Benz S 580 e comes with the following:
- Digital Lights headlights
- 19-inch multi-twin-spoke alloy wheels and run-flat tyres
- Airmatic air suspension with adaptive dampers
The all-new Mercedes-Benz S-Class will be offered in a sole S 580 e plug-in hybrid variant here in Malaysia, which combines a 3.0-litre six-cylinder engine with a hybrid electric motor.
- Engine: 2,999 cc, M256 turbocharged inline-six, petrol with 110 kW electric motor
- Transmission: 9G-Tronic nine-speed automatic
- Total max horsepower: 510 hp @ 5,500 – 6,100 rpm
- Total max torque: 750 Nm @ 1,600 – 4,500 rpm
- 0-100 km/h: 5.2 seconds
- Top speed: 250 km/h
- Hybrid battery: 28.6 kWh
- Electric range: 100 km (WLTP), up to 140 km/h
- Charger support: 11 kW on-board AC (2.5 hours to 80%), 60 kW DC (30 mins)
The cabin has also been completely redesigned, with a luxury lounge-like concept inspired by yachts. Aside from luxuries though, the interior is also fitted to the brim with tech, including the all-new MBUX software that controls every aspect of the car, and a MBUX Interior Assistant that uses sensors and cameras inside to predict and respond to the intention of occupants.
For example, the car will automatically open the rear sunblind for a better view out the back when the driver looks behind.
Other standard equipment on the inside include:
- Anthracite open-pore poplar wood trim
- Nappa leather upholstery and steering wheel
- 12.8-inch OLED portrait-oriented centre display
- 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster with automatic stereographic 3D effect
- Automatic climate control
- Wireless charging pad, front and rear seats
- Burmester 3D surround sound system, 16 speakers, 760W
- 64-colour ambient lighting, upgraded for more even and brighter illumination
- MBUX rear-seats entertainment system with twin 11-inch displays, two wireless headsets, and a 7.0-inch Android tablet for controls
- Electrically-adjustable rear seats with heating and cooling, calf massage functions
- Panoramic sliding sunroof
- 330-litre rear cargo space (smaller due to PHEV battery)
The all-new Mercedes-Benz S 580 e in Malaysia will come equipped with Mercedes-Benz Driving Assistance advanced driver assist features, which includes the following:
- Autonomous emergency braking with cross-traffic and pedestrian detection, up to 130 km/h
- Adaptive cruise control
- Lane keep assist
- Parktronic active parking assist
- Pre-safe pre-collision protection
The all-new S-Class is also the first car in the world to come with the innovative rear frontal airbags, alongside side window bags and belt bags for the rear passengers.