Alongside the new MINI 3 and 5 Door, as well as the MINI Convertible, MINI Malaysia today also unveiled the updated MINI Cooper SE, or simply called the MINI Electric, here on our shores.
The facelifted fully-electric MINI Cooper is now priced at RM217k on the road, without insurance and inclusive of the sales tax exemptions, making it just a touch more affordable than before – not that its fans needed any more reasons to buy one, since the 30-unit limited run on its predecessor here in Malaysia was snapped up almost instantly after its launch last year!
The new MINI Electric is given a slight makeover on its exterior featuring the new goatee-like front fascia, in line with its other petrol-powered siblings. Complementing the new hexagonal grille are the restyled front bumpers, which jettisons the round fog lights for vertical integrated air curtain slits for improved aerodynamics.
To bring the MINI Electric more in line with its other siblings, the ‘e’ badge on the front grille is now replaced with a regular Cooper ‘S’ badge in bright lime yellow colour; the electric logo on the charging port cover and the rear tailgate still remains as before, however.
Features wise, the following equipment comes as standard on the new MINI Electric here in Malaysia:
- Adaptive LED headlights with matrix functionality
- LED tailights with Union Jack graphics
- New side scuttles (fender decorative plates) with MINI Electric-specific inserts and LED indicators
- Blacked-out tailgate handle
- 17-inch MINI Electric Power Spoke wheels
- Exterior colour choices: White Silver with black roof and Energetic Yellow accents; British Racing Green with black roof and black mirror caps; Midnight Black with white roof and Energetic Yellow accents (pictured)
The front-wheel drive electric powertrain from its predecessor is unchanged on the new Mini Electric.
- Engine: Front-axle electric motor
- Transmission: Single speed
- Peak horsepower: 135 kW/184 hp
- Peak torque: 270 Nm
- 0 to 100 km/h: 7.3 seconds
- Top Speed: 150 km/h
- Battery capacity: 28.9 kWh
- Electric range: 232 km (WLTP)
The MINI Electric requires approximately 36 minutes to charge from zero to 80% at a standard DC charging station, or approximately two and a half hours at an AC charging station or using the MINI Wallbox Plus home charger.
During charging, the progress can be viewed on the side of the charging flap, through the digital instrument cluster, or via the new MINI mobile app.
Changes to the interior of the new MINI Electric are fairly minor, with the most visible one being the new decor panel on the dashboard, now featuring a geometrical design and reworked air vents.
There are also new ambient lighting details throughout the cabin, including the new round stylised bezel surrounding the central infotainment display and on the doors. The infotainment controller on the centre console is now finished in black, alongside the multi-function buttons on the new steering wheel.
Standard features inside the MINI Electric include:
- Updated 8.8-inch MINI Navigation System touchscreen infotainment display with Apple CarPlay connectivity
- Full MINI Connected suite: Concierge Service, Teleservice, Remote Services, Intelligent Emergency Call, MINI Online
- Digital instrument cluster
- MINI Head Up Display
- 12-Speaker, 360-watt Harman Kardon Sound System
- Dual-zone climate control
SAFETY AND CONVENIENCES
Similar to the outgoing model, the new MINI Electric is also equipped with the Driving Assistant system as standard. The camera-based advanced driving assistance suite includes the following features:
- Autonomous emergency braking with pedestrian and oncoming traffic detection
- Lane departure warning between 70 and 210 km/h
- Speed Limit info
- Digital high-beam assistant
- Adaptive cruise control
- Park Assistant with front and rear park distance control
The New MINI Electric is priced at RM217,470.73 on the road, without insurance, and inclusive of the SST exemptions (extended until end of 2021). Included in the price is a four-year unlimited mileage warranty, as well as eight-year/100,000 km high voltage battery warranty with free scheduled service.
With BMW Group Financial Services Malaysia’s Balloon Financing plan, the New MINI Electric starts from RM2,418 per month, based on estimates of a 80% loan on a five-year tenure.
The new MINI Electric is now available at all authorised MINI dealerships nationwide. However, due to the recent implementation of the new MCO3.0 “total lockdown“, the dealerships will be closed for physical viewings. Customers are encouraged to view the new MINI Electric online through MINI Malaysia’s website, linked here.
Customers can also book the new MINI Electric directly online via the MINI eShop platform (linked here) with a booking fee of RM1,000.