Edaran Tan Chong Motor has just unveiled the new 2022 Nissan Serena facelift here in Malaysia, which will be offered in two variants – 2.0L Highway Star and 2.0L Premium Highway Star – with pricing starting from RM149,888 on-the-road, and without-insurance.
In terms of appearance changes, the main update on the new 2022 Nissan Serena is up front, with a new larger and taller ‘V Motion’ grille, flanked by redesigned headlights. Round the back, the taillights have also been slightly reworked and now extends further downwards for a taller appearance.
The bumpers have also been given a slight refresh, with additional gloss black finishing all round, and full LED front fog lights and daytime-running lights. To differentiate between the two variants, the Premium Highway Star variant gets a two-tone paint job with blacked-out roof and pillars, alongside larger alloy wheels (black 16- vs silver 15-inch on the Highway Star), and additional door visors.
As for exterior equipment, the following items are standard on both variants:
- Automatic LED headlights
- “Dual back door” split tailgate
- hands-free sliding rear doors
- Roof spoiler
Both variants of the new 2022 Nissan Serena are powered by the same 2.0-litre naturally-aspirated inline-four hybrid engine, which was retained from the pre-facelift model.
The engine is further aided by a mild-hybrid motor that adds roughly 3 hp and 50 Nm during hard acceleration, and also functions as the starter and alternator to control the idle-stop system, as well as energy recuperation into the secondary battery.
- Engine: 2.0-litre, naturally-aspirated direct-injection inline-four, petrol, with
- Transmission: continuously variable transmission (CVT)
- Driveline: Front-engine, front-wheel drive
- Max horsepower: 150 hp @ 6,000 rpm
- Max torque: 200 Nm @ 4,400 rpm
The interior layout of the new 2022 Nissan Serena remains largely identical to the pre-facelift model, with the only changes coming in the form of additional equipment on the inside:
- Three-row seats with 13 configurable seating layouts
- Fabric upholstery
- Zero-gravity seats for driver, front passenger, and second-row
- 6.75-inch touchscreen infotainment display
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto connectivity
- 7.0-inch central Advanced Driver Assist Display, instrument cluster
- dual-zone automatic climate control for front passengers, ceiling-mounted controls for second-row air vents
- Premium Highway Star exclusives:
- Front and rear dashcam (optional front DVR for standard Highway Star variant)
- V-Kool window tint
- New larger 9.0-inch infotainment display
- Black/brown quilted premium Nappa leather upholstery
- 11.6-inch roof-mounted entertainment monitor
- “Tech On” mats for second-row folding tray table
- LED interior lighting
The main contributor to the price hike in the new 2022 Nissan Serena is the addition of an advanced driver assistance suite, with the following features standard on both variants:
- Autonomous emergency braking
- Lane departure warning
- Blind-spot monitoring
- Rear-cross traffic alert
- Driver attention warning
Other standard safety kit include six airbags, stability control, as well as second-row ISOFIX child seat anchors.
The new 2022 Nissan Serena is priced as follows, on-the-road, without insurance:
- Highway Star – RM149,888
- Premium Highway Star – RM162,888
Included in the price is also a five-year unlimited mileage warranty, alongside five times free maintenance service, with parts and labour included.