Assembled here in Malaysia for the first time ever, the all-new Golf 8 (not Mk. 8, apparently!) R-Line is now open for booking, with pricing estimated to be between RM155,000 and RM165,000.
The design of the Golf 8, unsurprisingly, is more “evolutionary” than “revolutionary”. It retains most of the silhouette of the outgoing model, but features some new design touches to spruce up the classic look with a touch of modernity.
In terms of standard equipment, the all-new Volkswagen Golf 8 R-Line comes with:
- R-Line exterior package with body kit, quad faux exhaust outlets
- LED Plus headlights
- LED tail lights
- 17-inch ‘Valencia’ alloy wheels
- Exterior colour options: Kings Red (new), matte Moonstone Grey (new), Atlantic Blue, Deep Black, Oryx White
Underneath the bonnet is a carry-over 1.4TSI turbocharged engine from the Mk7.5 Golf, but with increased power and a brand-new gearbox combination.
- Engine: 1.4-litre TSI turbocharged inline-four, petrol
- Transmission: Eight-speed automatic gearbox
- Driveline: Front-engine, front-wheel drive
- Max horsepower: 150 hp @ 5,000 rpm
- Max torque: 250 Nm @ 1,500 – 4,000 rpm
- 0-100 km/h: 8.5 seconds
While the exterior design isn’t anything new, the Golf 8’s interior has been completely revamped with a focus on digitalised features. Called “Driver’s Workspace”, the entire cabin is almost devoid of any physical switches, with most of them being replaced by touch-sensitive buttons.
Thanks to the new electrical architecture, the all-new Volkswagen Golf 8 R-Line also comes with a new shift-by-wire gear knob in the centre console, the first VW model in Malaysia to carry the feature. Other interior features include:
- 10.25-inch digital instrument cluster
- 10-inch Discover Media touchscreen infotainment display
- Wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto connectivity
- Semi-bucket sports seats, manual adjustment
- Sardegna fabric and Art Velours suede-like side bolsters, R-line embossing on headrest
- Carbon-look trim
- Three-zone climate control with rear blowers and control panel
- 30-colour interior lighting system
The all-new Volkswagen Golf 8 R-Line in Malaysia comes as standard with the following safety equipment:
- Six airbags
- Electronic stability control
- ABS with electronic brake-force distribution
- Brake Assist
- Post-Collision Braking System
- Tyre Pressure Leak Indicator
Unfortunately, the locally-assembled model does not come yet with any advanced driver assistance features, although we’re hoping that it’ll be included in a future update, preferably soon!
The all-new eight-generation Volkswagen Golf R-Line in Malaysia is now open for booking, with estimated pricing ranging between RM155,000 and RM165,000.
Included a standard in the price is a five-year unlimited mileage warranty, a three-year free maintenance package, and five years of free roadside assistance.