After a pretty long teaser period, the 2021 Volkswagen Arteon R-Line has now been launched in Malaysia. Locally assembled (CKD) here in Pekan, Pahang, the new Volkswagen Arteon is priced at RM247,671, inclusive of the SST exemptions that are valid until the end of the year.
In terms of exterior updates, the Volkswagen Arteon facelift has been given a very mild makeover, most noticeably on the front fascia where the daytime-running lights now extends into the grille, essentially joining the two headlights together. Round the back, the new fastback sedan has also been given a new set of tail lights with new 3D light graphics.
The new Volkswagen Arteon facelift in Malaysia will be dressed exclusively in the R-Line trim, which gets a redesigned front and rear bumpers, alongside a small bootlip spoiler in black. Other exterior styling highlights include:
- LED headlights, tail lights with 3D light signature
- Dynamic sequential indicators
- 19-inch ‘Montevideo’ alloy wheels
- R-line badging on front grille, front fender
- Exterior colour choices: Lapiz Blue, Oryx White, Deep Black, Pyrite Silver, Manganese Grey
The biggest update for the new Volkswagen Arteon comes in the form of its powertrain. Underneath the hood of the 2021 Arteon R-Line is now a new 2.0-litre turbocharged inline-four engine with a significantly higher power output compared to last year’s model.
- Engine: EA888 Gen. 3 2.0-litre inline-four turbocharged, petrol
- Transmission: Seven-speed dual-clutch DSG transmission
- Driveline: Front engine, all-wheel drive (4Motion)
- Suspension: Dynamic Chassis Control (DCC) adaptive dampers
- Max horsepower: 280 hp @ 5,100 – 6,500 rpm
- Max torque: 350 Nm @ 1,700 – 5,600 rpm
- 0-100 km/h: 5.6 seconds
Aside from the performance increase, this year’s Volkswagen flagship fastback sedan also gains the 4Motion all-wheel drive system, which works alongside the standard electronic differential lock (XDS) system to provide additional traction especially during corners.
There aren’t many noticeable changes to the interior of the 2021 Volkswagen Arteon. Just like its predecessor, the new model still gets all the R-Line niceties, plus pretty much all the range-topping bells and whistles that Volkswagen has to offer, along with a 563-litre cargo area at the back.
- 11.7-inch Digital Cockpit instrument cluster
- 9.2-inch Discover Pro infotainment display with wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- 360-degree surround view monitor
- 700W, 12-speaker Harman Kardon sound system
- 4-way ErgoComfort seats in “Carbon-Style” Nappa leather and R-Line badging
- Memory and massage function for driver seat
- Tri-zone automatic climate control
- 30-colour ambient lighting
- New flat-bottomed steering wheel with haptic touch controls and gearshift pedals.
- Handsfree powered tailgate with Easy Close (20-second delayed closing)
On the safety front, The 2021 Volkswagen Arteon R-Line facelift in Malaysia gains a new rear cross-traffic alert feature, alongside blind-spot alert (Side Assist), and lane departure alert and assist system. Unfortunately, the new Arteon here in Malaysia still does not come equipped with autonomous emergency braking and other advanced driver assistance features.
Other standard safety equipment include:
- Seven airbags
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with Brake Assist (BA)
- Hill-hold Control
- Proactive Passenger Protection System with Post Collision Braking System and Intelligent Crash Response System (cutting the fuel supply, unlocking the doors, and turning on hazard lights)
- Active Bonnet for pedestrian protection
- Tyre Pressure Monitoring System
- Manouevre braking (automatically applies brakes to prevent collision with detected objects at speeds of up to 10 km/h)
As mentioned above, the new 2021 Volkswagen Arteon R-Line is now available in Malaysia, priced at RM247,671 on the road, without insurance, but inclusive of the sales tax exemptions that are valid until the end of the year. The price is a significant increase from its predecessor, but we think that the added performance and standard kit more than makes up for it.
Included in the price is a five-year unlimited mileage warranty, three-year free scheduled maintenance package, and five-year roadside assistance.
Bookings for the new 2021 Volkswagen Arteon R-Line can be made at the Volkswagen eShowroom (linked here). A representative from the preferred dealership will be in contact to make the necessary arrangements in line with Government SOPs and Volkswagen’s #SafeHands initiative.