In a surprise to everyone, Volkswagen Passenger Cars Malaysia also officially launched the all-new Golf R in Malaysia, in addition to the Golf R-Line and GTI, completing the eighth-generation Golf line-up here on our shores.
Unlike the other two, though, the range-topper R will only be sold as a fully-imported model, priced at RM356,413 on the road, without insurance, and inclusive of the SST exemptions until the 30th of June 2022.
The all-new Volkswagen Golf R is stands out from the other two with a variant-exclusive body kit, consisting of their new signature R-styled front bumper, side skirts, and a more prominent diffuser at the back. Other exterior features include:
- Blue pin stripe accents
- Satin silver wing mirror cover
- Quad exhaust tailpipes
- 19-inch ‘Adelaide’ alloy wheels
- Blue R-styled brake calipers
- LED headlights
- LED tail lights with sequential turn indicators
- Exterior colour options: Lapiz Blue, Deep Black, Pure White
Underneath the bonnet of the all-new Golf R is a revamped EA888 2.0-litre TSI turbocharged engine, making more power than before.
- Engine: 2.0-litre TSI turbocharged inline-four, petrol
- Transmission: Seven-speed DSG dual-clutch with gearshift pedals
- Driveline: Front-engine, 4Motion all-wheel drive
- Suspension: Sports suspension
- Max horsepower: 320 hp @ 5,600 – 6,500 rpm
- Max torque: 400 Nm @ 2,000 – 5,600 rpm
- 0-100 km/h: 4.8 seconds
- Top speed: 250 km/h
The 4Motion system on the all-new Golf R comes with the new Performance Torque vectoring system, which means that power is further distributed between the individual rear wheels, in addition to just between the front and rear axle, giving you more traction to accelerate out of corners.
The cabin of the range-topping Golf R still retains most of the looks and features from the standard Golf variants, though with a few extras to help it stand out as the all-out hot hatch model.
- 10-inch digital instrument cluster with R-specific displays
- 10-inch touchscreen infotainment display with wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto connectivity
- R black headlining
- R brushed stainless steel pedals
- Leather-wrapped haptic flat-bottom steering wheel with dedicated R button, larger gearshift pedals
- R carbon grey trim
- Front sport seats in Nappa leather, powered driver adjustments with lumbar support
- 480W 10-speaker Harman Kardon premium sound system
- Three-zone climate control with rear blower and control panel
While the all-new Volkswagen Golf R in Malaysia still does not come with the iQ.Drive advanced driver assistance features, it does at least stand out from the other two variants with several additional features.
- Six airbags
- Driver alert system, fatigue detection
- Side Assist with rear cross traffic alert
- Proactive passenger protection system
- Automatic Post-Collision Braking System
- ESC (Electronic Stability control) including EDL (electronic differential lock) and ASR (traction control)
The all-new Volkswagen Golf R in Malaysia is priced at RM356,412.85 on the road, without insurance, and inclusive of the SST exemptions valid until June 30, 2022.
As standard, VPCM will also be offering a five-year unlimited mileage warranty with every purchase, alongside a three-year free scheduled service programme and five years of free roadside assistance.