Ferrari’s 3.9-litre twin-turbo V8 engine (codenamed F154CB) has been nominated as the best engine in the world for the third year running (previously in 2017 & 2016) at the 2018 International Engine of the Year Awards.
The powerplant found in the 488 Pista, 488 GTB (as featured in our 2016 year end special) and the 488 Spider won by an astouding margin, scoring 486 points more than Porsche’s 3.0-litre flat-six engine in second place.
Out of the 13 categories contested, Ferrari walked away with five awards:
- International Engine of the Year – Ferrari 3.9-litre biturbo V8
- Performance Engine of the Year – Ferrari 3.9-litre biturbo V8
- Best New Engine title – Ferrari 6.5-litre V12 (Ferrari 812 Superfast)
- Best Engine 3.0-litre to 4.0-litre – Ferrari 3.9-litre biturbo V8
- Best Engine Above 4.0-litre – Ferrari 6.5-litre V12
“In the 488 GTB, the 3.9-litre eight-cylinder was a near-perfect example of a high-performance turbocharged engine but the redeveloped and tweaked unit for the 488 Pista, the best engine in the world just got better. Without doubt, we’re looking at an engineering masterclass from Ferrari. No turbo lag, beautiful delivery, raw emotion, a furious growl and so much power – this Ferrari V8 is a work of art,” said co-chairman of the IEOTY Awards, Dean Slavnich.