One of the highlights of 2012 is the success of the Toyobaru couple. Let it be the Toyota GT86, Scion FR-S or the Subaru BRZ, it gained notoriety to some car enthusiastic, being pointed that the car is not cheap and underpowered. To be honest in the Malaysian content, the Toyota GT86 was only offered here and many were dismayed by the ridiculous pricing of RM250,000++. In which the price consious Malaysians who is looking for a sports car will consider a new Renault Megane Sports, Volkswagen Golf GTI or Volkswagen Scirroco for less the price of the GT86. More so were not impressed with the interior for such price and the power output of the GT86 were inferior compared the cheaper European hatches.
Before you say “Ha, the GT86 is a flop, I told you so”, there a source saying the waiting list of the GT86 for Malaysia has reached almost 1 year. In Australia you may need to wait for 18 months to go sideways with the new Toyota GT86. That is the equivalent of a waiting list of a supercar.
That’s not all. The Toyota GT86 gained alot of respect from many car reviewers. If Wikipedia is correct, here are the list of awards and achievements won by the Toyobaru coupe.
– The GT86 has won the Best Coupe Car from the Scottish Car of the Year 2012 held at Glasgow on 14 October 2012.
– The Toyota 86 has been judged the 2012 Car of the Year in Australia at the annual Drive awards. The 86 was also named Best Performance Car under A$60,000 and won the People’s Choice vote.
– In South Africa the 86 has been nominated in the South African Guild of Motoring Journalists (SAGMJ) Car Of The Year 2013
– US News declared the Scion FR-S as the best affordable sports car for the 2012.
– In November 2012 the GT86 won the Auto Express performance car award.
– In December 2012, the GT86 was named the Top Gear UK magazine “Car of the Year 2012” and “The Coupe of the Year 2012” with the BRZ.
– The Toyota 86 was crowned New Zealand Car of the Year 2012.
– The Toyota 86 and Subaru BRZ were jointly named as the 2012 Carsguide Car of the Year.
– The Subaru BRZ won third place in Motor Trend’s Best Driver’s Car 2012
– The Scion FRS was a contender in Motor Trend’s Car of the Year 2013 and the Subaru BRZ was the runner up
– Autocar named the Toyota GT86 as Britain’s best drivers car of 2012
– Car and Driver named the Subaru BRZ/ Scion FRS as one of the 10 best cars of 2013
– The Subaru BRZ earned the IIHS Top Safety Pick of 2012
– The Subaru BRZ was a finalist in Autoweek’s Best of the Best 2013
– The GT86 and Subaru BRZ won Carsales Australia network’s People’s Choice Best Performance Car Under A$100,000
– The Subaru BRZ won Best Sports Car of 2013, from the Canadian Autos.ca website
– The Subaru BRZ/ Toyota GT86 Boxer engine won 2013 Ward’s 10 “Best Engines”
– The Subaru BRZ beat the Toyota GT86, BMW M135i, Porsche 911 Carrera, Audi RS5, Ford Focus ST and Renault Megane RS265 in Top Gear Australia’s Car of The Year.
So in 2013 and beyond, with the abundance of aftermarket options from various tuners and the long waiting list, the future for the Toyobaru was indeed very bright.