This weekend is perhaps one of the most packed events for motorsports enthusiasts in Malaysia. There are two F1 street demonstrations, one by Team Lotus in Putrajaya and another by Red Bull Racing in Bukit Bintang. Down south in Johor is the 1st round of the Asia Pacific Rally Championship (APRC) which is the Rally of Malaysia, in which the Proton Satria Neo S2000 will be participating.
I managed to get a glimpse of the event and felt the energy from Team Lotus with their main partner Air Asia, to the home fans. Malaysia is the 1st of the 2 home events for the Anglo-Malaysian team, so the team is expected to perform reasonably well in mid field in Sepang, in front of the home fans.
Putrajaya was converted into a temporary figure of 8 street track, which offers plenty of straight line speed with the Malaysian administrative capital as backdrop. Below are some pictures taken during the event.
1. Demonstration by Jarno Trulli
2. Demonstration by Heikki Kovalainen
3. This event is made possible by Air Asia.
4. Supermotard stunt bike demo during the event.
5. Shots of last year’s car T127 with this year’s liveries.
6. Looks like the recent increase of RON97 in Malaysia has no impact to Team Lotus
7. Media interviewing Team Lotus new young driver development talent, Alex Rossi
8. Just like other F1 teams, Team Lotus show their support towards the victims of the recent earth quake and tsunami in Japan
9. Jarno Trulli, before leaving the area
10. Heikki Kovalainen, with a very lucky fan
11. The people behind Team Lotus. Datuk Tony Fernandes, Mike Gascoyne and Riad Asmat.